Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Government Efficiency: An Oxymoron?
I'm usually not one to complain about the government like some people I know. However, I have been directly involved in a situation that can, at this point, best be described as comical (as well as rather annoying). I won't describe the specifics here, for numerous reasons, but let's just say that for work-related purposes, I needed one government agency to send some paperwork to another. Let's call them Agency A and Agency B. Now, Agency A completed said paperwork back in December. At that point, all they needed to do was send the completed paperwork to Agency B. I'm not sure if this is done electronically, but that's what I suspect. Fast forward to the end of the story, and I can tell you that it took Agency A exactly five months to send the completed paperwork over to Agency B. I can't stress enough the fact that the paperwork was complete in December; all they had to do was send it along and it took five months. During this time, I was told that, after a few months of waiting, Agency B actually requested that Agency A send them the paperwork. I checked back on that a few weeks later and found out that Agency B had only "requested to request" the paperwork and did not really "officially request" it. That took another month. Now, I know things take time, but in five months my son could have crawled from our house to Agency A, had someone strap the paperwork to his back, and crawled it down to Agency B! There must be a better way...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I have no idea if this is related or not, but I've heard that all security clearances are now being processed through OPM instead of each government area doing their own. As a result, the last batch of non-OPM clerances are getting held up while the new standards are getting finalized.
But you're probably not posting about that, are you?
I heard this, too. Apparently there was a 60-day freeze put in place while the switchover to OPM ocurred. Of course, I have no idea how any of this relates to my initial post. ;-)
Here's a thought.
How about you take 10-15 minutes away from your WoW addiction each week to update your 'blog?
B-)
Ouch! I hate to have to point out other examples of blogs that are updated less frequently than mine. :-)
Hey you blasted Night Elf. I see you still haven't taken my advice. Don't you want to post about Schmankerl Stube? Don't you just want to have fun saying Schmankerl Stube? You should name a WoW character Schmankerl, and Jessie should name one Stube. What a team.
Oh, by the way, I hate you. You have ruined my life. My only saving grace is that Michelle wasn't too impressed. Maybe she can pull me back....
JMc updating his 'blog: An Oxymoron?
B-)
I must say maybe you don't rail against the government as much as some other people because you haven't been as effected by the turkeys out there. I've was working government jobs and contract jobs while you were getting your degree. :) Additionally, I have been directly effected in the ol' wallet by some of the jack ass decisions certain administrations have made because of those government ties. I'm glad I'm out of that circus.
Post a Comment