Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Here We Go Again...

Just what the Boy Scouts of America need again is another black eye. Today, it was announced that the director or programs for the national organization has been charged with receiving and distributing child pornography, and he is expected to plead guilty. This is a 61-year-old leader who has been involved with the organization for 39 years. And, he is an Eagle Scout. I am outraged, appalled, and frankly sick and tired of hearing story after story of crime and corruption coming from an organization I have held in such high esteem for many years. I'm not sure how to solve this recurring problem, but it seems that a more rigorous process for becoming an adult leader should be put in place. I have no doubt that the vast majority of adult leaders are good people with good intentions and deserve a great deal of respect. That their reputations are continually tarnished by the actions of a few corrupt and devious individuals is extremely unfortunate and unfair. The survival of the organization rests on the shoulders of these people. Let's continue to support them and not let the actions of a few common criminals reflect poorly on them.

No comments: